Video Lag Fix VLC Player – This is a complete guide on fixing video lagging issues on VLC Media player when playing back videos or streaming.
VLC media player is one of the most popular Media players. Users worldwide widely use VLC Player in their systems as it can play most video format files without extended codec support. Also, the VLC player is compatible with all systems, and the user interface is convenient and understandable.
Recently, this media file has been showing some errors and struggling to stream videos smoothly on several systems. Many users are struggling and facing this issues as we read them on several forums. Even a 720 60Fps smooth video is not running correctly and rendering choppy frames while running. We downloaded this VLC media player and analyzed the issue very carefully. And finally, we have found some solutions that will work for you.
So without further delay, let’s check out the different ways to fix video lag on VLC Media Player.
Video lag fix vlc player- Check file type.
Although this VLC can run various types of video or media available in the computer market, it still has some limitations. And often, it struggles to run the most popular MP4 file formats. So if you run it or any other that is not supported, you will face problems like choppy frames. Choose a different file type or convert that file using softwares like Handbrake, for example.
ALSO READ – Rotate Displays quickly on Windows
Video lagging on VLC Player fix- File corruption.
Even if the file is fully compatible with VLC or supported and is not running, it surely has been corrupted when downloading or malfunctioning. Check the media file properly to see whether it is OK, and also try running that video on other media players. If the problem persists, redownload the video file and try again.
VLC Player Video lag fix- Hardware Acceleration
Disabling this VLC media player feature can help fix your issue.
- Open the VLC media player and then click on the tools.
- Here, select Preferences from the menu.
- Then, choose the “Input/Codes” tab, which can be found between “Subtitles/OSD” and “Hotkeys.”
- After that, you can find the Codecs option.
- Under this, there is a “Hardware-Accelerated Decoding” option is available
- On the right side of it, you can see a drop-down menu
- Click on this drop-down menu and select “Disable.”
- Now click on the Save button, which can be found on the lower right side.
ALSO READ – Greyed Out Location Fix on Windows
Fix VLC Player video Lag- Change Power Options to High performance
If your Microsoft windows operating system runs on a limited power management plan, you must change it to a high level. Doing this lets you run the video at full resolution through the VLC media player. In this way, you can fix the video lag issue of the VLC player.
- Press Windows key and R key at the same time, as it will open the RUN
- Type “control” in the blank field and press enter.
- By doing this, control panel window will be opened
- Here, type on the right side top corner field “power.”
- After that, a green battery icon will apper on the left side; click on it.
- You can see three options: Balanced, Power Saver, High Performance, and Ultimate Performance. The Ultimate Performance option might not be visible in all systems, so clicking the “Show additional plan” option will revel the feature.
ALSO READ – Fix the 0x0000011 Error on Windows
VLC Player Codec Issue- Deblocking Filter.
Disabling the In-loop Deblocking Filter will help you fix the video lag of VLC media player, as it will enable H.264 decoding. Here is the process of how to do it.
- Open VLC media player and choose the Tool Menu and click Preferences.
- Under this, Select “Input/Codecs” option.
- Here, you can find a option name “Skip H.264 in-loop deblocking filter.”
- On it’s right side drop down menu, select the option “All.”
- After choosing, click on the save button to save your settigns
ALSO READ – Copy Paste doesn’t work? See this
Video lag fix vlc player during streaming- Cache Value
By changing the Cache value, you can fix the video lag problem of VLC player. Unnecessary cache files obstruct the smooth performance or playback, especially when you directly stream from the internet. So you can increase the network size to fix this.
- Open VLC media player and click on Tool menu
- Then select Preferences
- Here, choose “ALL” option, which can be found under Show Settings Section.
- After that, choose “Input/Codecs” from the left sode column.
- In the “Advanced Section”, increase the File (ms) and Network Cache (ms) Value.
- Click on Save button to save your settings
VLC Media Player Freezing Problem- Reset Settings
If any manfulction has happned internally, you can fix this by reseting the Preferences of the VLC Media player.
- Choose the Tool menu of the VLC player and then select Preferences
- After that, under this tab, you will get “reset preferences” option
- Click on that then, then click OK to confirm
- Now restart your VLC player and try to play video on it
So this was all about how to fix Video lagging in VLC Player. If you think we have missed anything, let us know in the comments below.
That’s all, folks!
Alapan, Editor at Xombied and Techuda, is a biomechanical Engineer education-wise. But he wanted to go ahead with his life and pursue his career as both Gaming and Tech Reviewer. He is occasionally invited to host, plan and execute Gaming events with multiple brands. Apart from gaming, he loves playing guitar and singing along to the music.