In this article, we will guide and help you turn off background apps on the Windows 11 operating system.
Microsoft has released Windows 11 with many exciting features, especially for gaming and applications. This allows the Windows Operating System users to use it in various ways. These programmable applications are very much helpful in enriching the quality of your working experience along with productivity-boosting.
But as usual, when your work is complete, and you close the particular application or program, it still runs in the background. And as a result, when you try to access other applications for different works, your system hangs or delivers less performance than expected. This happens because the previous applications are still running in the background and are using your CPU, GPU, Storage, Ram, etc. And if this occurs in compact systems like prebuilt Gaming PCs or Laptops, the battery drains extremely fast.
To avoid this serious problem, you have to turn it off or kill those running applications or programs that still run in the background even after you close them. So in this article, we will guide and help you with how you can turn off background apps on the Windows 11 operating system.
Turn Off Background Apps On Windows 11 Platform
There are two ways to turn off the background apps on Windows 11.
Primary Way to Turn Off Background Applications and Programs On Windows 11
The Simple and Basic Way is to kill tasks from Task Manager applications. You can right-click on your taskbar and then click on the task manager option to open it, or you can press and hold the Alt+Ctrl+Del button on your keyboard at a time to open it.
After opening the task manager, click on the process tab, and you will get a list of applications running even in the background. Click on the unnecessary application or program name you want to stop, and then click on the “END TASK” Button to stop it.
ALSO READ – How to stop Windows 11 update
There are three advanced ways to stop excessive and unnecessary applications and programs running in the background even after you have closed them. Here are the processes –
Process No 1 – Turn Off Background Apps On Windows 11 Platform from Settings Menu
Follow the below steps to turn Off Background Applications and Programs On Windows 11
- Open the Settings menu or press “Windows key+I.”
- Now select Apps and then Apps and Features.
- Here you can observe the name of the applications running in the background. Go to the right side of that particular application name that you want to close.
- Now on this right side, you can see three vertical dots placed. Click on those three dots and then select “Advanced Option.”
- After clicking on the Advanced Option, you will be offered Background apps Permissions options. Select “Never” from the drop-down menu and close it.
ALSO READ – How to switch Sound Output in Windows 11
Process No 2 – Turn Off Background Apps On Windows 11 Platform for all users
Follow the below steps to turn off Background Applications and Programs On Windows 11
- Click On the start menu and then open the Run application. If you can’t find or understand, the simple press the “Windows Key+R” button
- Now type “gpedit.msc” and press the enter button on your keyboard
- Afterwards, go to this particular location on the Run window – “Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\App Privacy.”
- Here you will be offered some lists of options; find and double click on “Let Windows apps run in the background.”
- Now select “Disabled” and click apply and then ok. This option will turn off the background applications and programs for all your Windows 11 operating system accounts.
Process No 3 – Turn off background Applications by using Windows Registry Editor
Follow the below steps to turn off the background Applications and Programs on Windows 11
- Go to the start menu search section and type “Regedit”. This will open Registry Editor Application.
- Now on the Registry Editor Window, go to – “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\AppPrivacy.”
- If your system has no AppPrivacy, then create it. Right-click on the windows, then select new, and then key. Rename it as AppPrivacy
- After that, right-click the space you can find on the right side of the window.
- Now Click New and after that “DWORD (32-bit) value. Rename the new value as “LetAppsRunInBackground”
- After that, double-click on this new value. You can find a blank space to put a value in the below section of “Value Data.”
- Type “2” in that blank space and click the ok button
- After all the processes are done successfully, restart your operating system
ALSO READ – How to take screenshots on Windows 11
So this was all about how to turn off Background Apps On Windows 11 Platform. If you think we missed out on anything, feel free to comment below.
That’s all, folks!
Alapan, Editor at Xombied and Techuda, is a biomechanical Engineer education-wise. But he wanted to go ahead with his life and pursue his career as both Gaming and Tech Reviewer. He is occasionally invited to host, plan and execute Gaming events with multiple brands. Apart from gaming, he loves playing guitar and singing along to the music.